The history of Mälsåker palace
The castle is closed. Welcome june 3.
The history of Mälsåker palace stretches back to the Middle Ages when it probably was a simple stone house. The castle is situated on the island Selaön in lake Mälaren. Mälaren is the third largest lake of Sweden and Selaön is known for its many ancient monuments. During Sweden’s period as a great power in Europe in the 17th century the palace was owned by the Soop family. The famous architect Nikodemus Tessin was engaged to alter the building into one of the grandest baroque palaces in Sweden. The house was extended, wings and a terrace with stairs facing the see were added. During the 18th century the interiors were partly changed into the rococo style. At the end of the 19th century the house was modernized with electricity, water and central heating.
The 1940s turned out to be the most dramatic decennium for Mälsåker.1943-1945 Mälsåker was owned by the State of Norway and used for training of approximately 2,000 soldiers living in hutments. The palace was used as an office and accommodation for officers and commands. A very cold day in January 1945 all fireplaces in the palace are used, which causes the chimney shaft to crack, the roof catches fire and the catastrophe is a fact. The roof fell in and the richly ornamented stucco ceilings on the third floor were destroyed. A great deal of the noble baroque palace had turned into a ruin.
In the 1990s Mälsåker started to regain its former glory. A building workshop was established and parts of the palace were restored using old building techniques and traditional materials. Stucco ceilings were re-created as was the beautiful patterned wooden floors.
Since 2007 an association is responsible for making the palace available for visitors. During summertime the palace is open for individual visitors as well as for pre-booked group visits. In the palace you will find an exhibition from the “Norway-era”, an exhibition from the period around 1900 and also several artists showing their work in the beautiful rooms. You are welcome to have some refreshments in the newly established café- and exhibition building, located just next to the palace with an astonishing view of the lake.
Mälsåker palace is situated 20 km north of Mariefred and 80 km west of Stockholm. Drive towards Stallarholmen, turn right towards Ytterselö and then follow the signs to Mälsåker palace. Beware of the elks, wild-pigs and other wild animals and of the race horses nearby the palace!
Opening hours 2017:
Palace and Café:
Tours in English are available for prebooked groups all year around. Please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +46-(0)708-23 45 17